Efficiently and Effectively Straighten Your Smile.
Does your child or teen need braces? A healthy and confident smile is vital! Our orthodontists can help your child achieve a healthier, more beautiful smile. If you have more questions, call Children’s Dentistry at 801-295-8322 to learn more about our orthodontics in Centerville, Utah, or to schedule a consultation with our experienced pediatric dentists.
Braces in Centerville, UT
Braces are the most popular type of orthodontic tool for correcting problems such as crooked teeth, crowded teeth, and teeth that are not aligned correctly. As you wear braces, they begin to slowly align and straighten your teeth so you can have a straight smile and bite. Braces come in different shapes and forms and your Centerville, UT orthodontist will consult with you to provide the best treatment plan.
What Are the Different Types of Braces?
In the past, braces were noticeable and bulky, however certain advancements in technology have made braces faster, less noticeable, more effective, and more comfortable. Here are the main types of braces commonly used today:
- Traditional metal braces
- Ceramic braces
- Lingual Braces
- Self-ligating braces
- Clear aligners like Invisalign®
How Do Different Types of Braces Work?
As there are several different types of braces, which type you get as well as your unique orthodontic situation will influence your treatment. To start your journey to a straighter smile, your Centerville orthodontist will ask you questions about your health, take digital scans of your teeth, conduct a clinical exam, order x-rays of your head and mouth, and take photos of your teeth and face before deciding on a treatment plan that best suits your unique situation.
Here is a bit more information on how different braces work:
- Traditional metal braces are most popular among teenagers and children and they work by applying the braces to the teeth with a wire that connects to them accordingly. The wire is secured to the braces by the use of elastic ties. The orthodontist will make adjustments every 4-8 weeks to further move the teeth into place.
- Ceramic braces are clear and made of tooth-colored materials. They work in the same way as metal braces but are less visible, more discreet, and slightly larger. Patients who opt for ceramic bases tend to be teenagers and adults who are esthetically driven. Ceramic braces are also more affordable than metal braces.
- Lingual Braces are the least common orthodontic tool on the market. They are specialized and require a set of orthodontic skills that are not as common to find. These braces are placed behind the teeth and provide an esthetic advantage that no other type of braces offers. Lingual braces are discreet and offer versatility in patients but can affect speech at the beginning of treatment.
- Self-ligating braces work similarly to ceramic and metal braces and are available in both metal and clear materials. They also rely on wire and brackets to move the teeth however the difference is that they use clips or doors to hold a memory wire in place rather than elastic rubber ties. These braces slowly self-adjust and tighten over time. They are ideal for patients who want less frequent visits to their orthodontist in Centerville, UT.
- Clear aligners (also called trays) like Invisalign have become popular in the last decade and are clear and transparent, removable, easier for flossing and brushing, faster than braces, and require shorter appointment times in some cases. Invisalign is great for patients who need a quick touch-up or have mild to moderate dental issues.
Benefits of Braces
The benefits of braces such as traditional braces, ceramic braces, lingual braces, self-ligating braces, and clear aligners are:
- Tooth decay prevention
- Gum disease prevention
- Bone erosion prevention
- Reduced risk of damaged teeth
- Improved digestive health
- Improved oral comfort
- Improved aesthetic confidence
- Proper jaw alignment
Am I a Candidate for Braces?
Your qualified orthodontist in Centerville, UT will recommend the best braces solution for you. You may be a good candidate for braces if you have the following problems with your teeth:
- Open bite
- Misaligned teeth
- Gapped teeth
The following are good candidates for the different types of braces available:
- Traditional metal braces are best suited for candidates who require an affordable option to treat their irregular teeth. They are effective and recommended in the case of majorly crooked teeth. They are ideal for children, as younger patients are not prone to be concerned with the esthetic advantages of other braces treatments.
- Ceramic braces are best suited for candidates who require less noticeable braces and faster movement of teeth.
- Lingual Braces are best suited for candidates who require a more personalized approach to fixing their teeth. They are ideal for patients wanting less noticeable treatment as they are situated on the back of the teeth.
- Self-ligating braces are best suited for candidates who are interested in less discomfort, faster treatment results, and less frequent office visits.
- Clear aligners like Invisalign are best suited for candidates who require a modern and esthetic approach to fixing their teeth. Invisalign is suited to those who require more comfort and the reduction of social anxiety, as the aligners are transparent.
What Is the Cost of Braces?
Different types of braces will be priced differently. For affordable braces in Centerville, UT your orthodontist will be able to advise the best solution for you. Here’s what you can expect to generally spend:
- Traditional metal braces cost on average between $3,000 to $7,500.
- Ceramic braces cost on average between $2,000 to $8,500.
- Lingual Braces cost on average between $5,000 to $13,000.
- Self-ligating braces cost on average between $2,000 and $7,000.
- Clear aligners like Invisalign cost on average between $3,000 to $7,000.
Are Braces Painful?
Braces do not hurt when they are applied to the teeth. Patients can expect mild discomfort for a few days or weeks after the braces are applied while the teeth move into the correct position in the mouth. Occasionally patients feel this discomfort for a short period of time, usually only a day or two, after their braces are tightened as well. Any mild pain can be treated with over-the-counter pain relievers.
Start Your Smile Journey With Braces in Centerville, UT Today
If you would like to learn more about the different types of braces, give us a call today to schedule a consultation. Our experienced and compassionate team will be delighted to assist you and will gladly recommend affordable braces in Centerville, UT.
Healthy Smiles Start Here!
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions about your child’s first visit or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Nelson, Dr. White, or Dr. Hiné.